You may have a physical address, but is your business really on the map? For old-school, brick-and-mortar businesses, it used to be that a quality sign, a Yellow Pages listing, and a targeted direct mail campaign was all it took to bring in traffic. Nowadays you need a well-planned integrated marketing program that includes a presence on a variety of location-based services to ensure your business is found. Here’s an overview of the five most popular location-based sites and apps that will help you get discovered by customers, all at no charge. Five Ways to Get Your Business on The Map
- Yelp Users can find local businesses, write reviews, share photos and connect with friends. Yelp offers businesses a great way to discover and resolve customer complaints and operational issues that would otherwise go unnoticed.
- FourSquare For small businesses, large chains, and any other physical location, Foursquare offers a free set of tools to help attract new visitors and keep them coming back. Claim your venue and reach customers with local updates, and create specials to increase business. The location-based game allows users to find out what’s nearby, see where their friends are, and share their location by “checking in”. You can share photos, tips and broadcast your check on Facebook and Twitter, or stay “off the grid.” Check in often enough and you become the “mayor.”
- Facebook Places Users can add a location to their Facebook posts to let people know where they’ve been, where they’re headed, and where they’re at.
- Google+ Local Your business may already be listed without your even knowing it, so claim your listing to ensure it’s accurate. Add your website, photos, video link, and other details. You’ll be more likely to come up in search results when your listing is complete. Users can also see and post reviews.
- Yahoo Local Users can find business reviews, top-rated services, local events, interactive maps, and driving directions. Claim your business, add a photo, and complete your business listing to ensure you’re found.